Theme is missing the style.css stylesheet error
A common issue that can occur when installing a WordPress themes is “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.” error message being displayed when uploading or activating the theme.
One of the reasons you may receive this error is if you have uploaded the incorrect file.
You have 2 options for downloading your theme.
1. Installable WordPress file only. (below)
- All files and documentation (full zip folder). You will need to extract and locate the installable WordPress file. (below)
Please make sure you are uploading only the installable theme which is called NameOf Theme.zip. If you upload ALL these files you will receive an error.
Read more: 1/ https://xstore.helpscoutdocs.com/article/4-theme-package
Upload the Installable WordPress file admin area
- Log in to your WordPress admin area.
- Browse to Appearance Themes.
- Click on ‘Add New’.
- Click ‘Upload’.
- Browse and select the theme zip file to ‘Upload’.
Upload Via FTP
- WordPress files can also be uploaded manually via FTP.
- Upload the files to /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server.
- Login to your WordPress admin area to change the theme.
- Check out the guide on WordPress.org here.